Re: TCP bug? hanging outgoing connections in 2.2.14

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge (jeremy@goop.org)
Date: Fri Feb 18 2000 - 17:25:30 EST

On 18-Feb-00 kuznet@ms2.inr.ac.ru wrote:
> Hello!
>
>> stuff. Think cell-phones that can do POP3. Maybe not today, but never
>> dismiss the lure of the internet and the stupidity of devices ;)
>
> Actually, our TCP does not ingore them. It should work with such winodws.
> And 4096 is even not small, it good large window 8)
>
> I think target SMTP server simply does not want to talk to us
> by an unrelated reason.

Yes. It turned out to be trying to query my non-existant ident server, and
then ignoring the ICMP message my firewall rules sent it. It just sat there
in a staring match with my mail server until my end timed out. An unrelated
but confusing effect is that the other end only accepts one connection from each
source IP address, so when I telnetted to the other end it dropped the first
connection.

Fix: install a no-op ident server.