Re: Userland encrypted filesystem that root cannot access.

From: Mike A. Harris (mharris@meteng.on.ca)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 01:19:15 EST

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Horst von Brand wrote:

>Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 20:15:40 -0300
>From: Horst von Brand <vonbrand@sleipnir.valparaiso.cl>
>To: mharris@meteng.on.ca
>Subject: Re: Userland encrypted filesystem that root cannot access.
>
>"Mike A. Harris" <mharris@meteng.on.ca> said:
>> Are there any patches for the kernel, or userland solutions which
>> allow a user to mount an encrypted filesystem (perhaps through
>> loopback) which while mounted, root cannot read? Or is this
>> concept beyond Linux currently?
>
>> I'm thinking of the case where the superuser can admin the
>> machine but due to confidentiality, the data must not be readable
>> by root under any circumstance. Possible?
>
>A determined root will be able to snoop on your password and stash the
>contents of your encrypted media away for leisurly study. Not easy to do,
>but not terribly hard either.

Thanks, I'm aware of that, however that would be acceptable.
The particular case I'm thinking about, root is for all intents
and purposes a bucket of chicken. ;o) Certainly not capable of
hacking anything... A *TRUE* secure solution would be nice, but
a "stop luser root" solution would be fine...

Thanks.
TTYL

--
Mike A. Harris                                     Linux advocate
Computer Consultant                                  GNU advocate

Join the FreeMWare project - the goal to produce a FREE program in which you can run Windows 95/98/NT, and other operating systems.

http://www.freemware.org