Re: CD audio problems with kernels > 2.2.10

From: Jens Axboe (axboe@suse.de)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 05:04:27 EST

On Fri, Feb 18 2000, Adrian Burd wrote:

> I'm having the following problem which appears to be a kernel
> problem. Essentially I am unable to play audio CD's using the
> CD-ROM. The following errors appear whenever I attempt this:
>
> CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/cdrom: cmd=CDROMVOLCTRL errno=38
> CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/cdrom: cmd=CDROMREADTOCHDR errno=38
> CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/cdrom: cmd=CDROMREADTOCHDR errno=38
> CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/cdrom: cmd=CDROMREADTOCHDR errno=38
> CD audio: ioctl error on /dev/cdrom: cmd=CDROMREADTOCHDR errno=38
> TOC ERROR: No Disc ID found at /usr/bin/ripit.pl line 209, <CDTOC> chunk 1.

My guess is that your CD-ROM does not report audio playing capabilities.
Extra checks were added for that in 2.2.13. What does
'cat /proc/sys/dev/cdrom/info' say? Send me the output of
/proc/ide/hdX/model as well, so we can add a workaround.

--
*  Jens Axboe <axboe@suse.de>
*  Linux CD-ROM Maintainer