Re: 2.3.46 Boot Failure

From: Gerard Roudier (groudier@club-internet.fr)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 06:49:30 EST

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Peter Rival wrote:

> Hi guys (again),
>
> In the unending saga of attempting large-memory configuration boot
> under the 2.3 series, this next installment also blows up quite nicely.
> At the very least, the sym53c8xx driver needs to be merged in from the
> vger CVS tree (I tried an older one from about four days ago and that
> did not work correctly either). It appears that the qlogic driver is
> mostly working, but not well enough.

It is fine to be impatient. I have been impatient for about 6 months about
a fix for the alpha __delay()/__udelay() stuff that can be 200% wrong due
to inlining and that notably breaks the SCSI clock speed measurement by
ncr/sym53c8xx at initialisation. This stuff does not seem to have been
fixed in all still alive linux branches (I mean 2.0/2.2/2.3).

David S. Miller and I are currently working on the driver changes for the
new scsi/pci/dma interface in 2.3. I am impatient to have statisfying
driver changes that I will want to be made available, even if I donnot
personally use alpha machines.

By the way, Pamela Delaney (from LSILOGIC) and I (from home:)) would be
glad to hear DEC/COMPAQ ingenieers about the status of the
__delay()/__udelay() stuff for alpha in Linuxes. For now, Pamela has to
send a band-aiding patch to linux-alpha user each time she recieves a
report for the known ncr/sym53c8xx driver problem caused by the 200% error
range of udelay() on alpha. And it is time waste each time since months.
Thanks in advance.

Gérard.