Re: Of removable devices

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 06:03:55 EST

In <14509.42850.836211.561571@dukat.scot.redhat.com> Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com) wrote:
ST> Hi,

ST> On Wed, 16 Feb 2000 23:29:17 +0300 (MSK), "Khimenko Victor"
ST> <khim@sch57.msk.ru> said:

>> this daemon open up dialog and wait for kernel to get message "Ok,
>> floppy found, you can remove your dialog". Perhaps daemon can notify
>> kernel as well when "Ok" in dialog clicked to try to search floppies
>> in different floppy drives (remember: I can have more then one floppy
>> drive of any type; situiation where you have both CD-ROM and CD-RW is
>> not unusual, for example). Gosh. PILE OF CHANGES ! Rowork of VFS,
>> messages flying around, daemons... Is it doable? Absolutely ! Is it
>> worth it ? Perhaps not. But who knows ?

ST> It's far more complexity than it is worth. The simple, obviously
ST> correct approach is just to fail filesystem operations with -EIO on
ST> media change until the media is remounted.

No. Linux has bad habit to not flush data on disk when it's available.
If you'll try to copy 1MiB file on floppy then typically few KiBs will
be stored immideately, then for 10-15sec there will be no acess to
floppy and then (when deamon will try to flush beffers) rest will be saved.
It's perfectly possible (for novice user) to pull disk when only few KiBs
will be in fact saved. AFAIK change behaviour of VFS to store data to disk
as far as data is available AND guarantee that motor will be NEVER spin down
if there are exist dirty buffers will be also not trivial. And FAR less
reliable as well.

P.S. Do you REALLY think that anyone will use StarOffice for Linux instead of
MS Office for Windows if StarOffice for Linux will be SIGNIFICALLY less
reliable when used with floppies ? Windows works with floppies in "Amiga way"
(more or less) so it's MUCH more reliable when used with floppies then
supermount. So:
  1. Supermount DOES NOT look good in theoretical sence.
  2. Supermount DOES NOT look good even when compared to Windows.
Do we really need such beast in kernel ?