Re: IP autoconfig doesn't work in 2.3.46

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 07:38:21 EST

Wakko Warner wrote:
> Great. Now instead of just catting my kernel to a floppy and it just
> 'works', I'll have to make a boot disk with ext2 or minix on it and figure
> out what files out of what packages I need just to query a bootp server.
> ATM, I don't know how to leave initrd (I never looked)

Oh wah... look at mkinitrd and Documentation/initrd.txt

You can make a script for this just like you can make a script for other
stuff. Once done the task is no different from the standard 'make
install' step for the kernel build.

> Personally, for diskless machines which boots the kernel directly (no lilo,
> no syslinux, etc) this is a good thing. (Or atleast I believe so) I've
> never used ip autoconfig using arp except once where I had a digiport server
> that would do this but not bootp. Anyway, I atleast hope that bootp
> autoconfig isn't removed from the kernel for this reason.

Anywhere that a kernel image exists, an initrd image can exist.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik         | The ultimate Windows 98 keyboard:
Building 1024       | Ctrl, Alt + Del on one big key!