Re: tulip driver

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 11:25:49 EST

Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> I see on fa.linux.kernel you seem to have taken control of this driver.

I'm just hacking on it, and only in 2.3.x....

> Which version is least like to cause hard crashes with a LinkSys 100 tx
> with wake-on-lan (not that I use that feature - but that's the only card
> they sell now), and a 2.2.14 kernel?

There is a small fix in 2.2.15pre9 for tulip, but for the most part, I
would say that the tulip driver in 2.2.x kernels is the most stable for
the most people, and the most widely tested.

> The version LinkSys was distributing
> as of a couple months ago from their Website works, but crashes the system
> a few times a week; while the version with the kernel distros (at least in
> 2.2.13) wouldn't run the card at all. Now I see LinkSys is pointing at
> NASA for a different version, which I'll compile in tonight - but is there
> a known version that's fully stable?

You will get different answers from different people, but the only who
you can really answer your question is you, after testing various driver
versions.

I will take the time to work with you, if you want to test and help
debug the driver ---in kernel 2.3.x---

My best advice: download and try the latest "stable pre-patch", version
2.2.15-pre9. You mentioned LinkSys saying the problem in the kernel,
and that your oops was somewhere around tcp_keepalive. That implies
that a general TCP fix might also cure your problem.

        Jeff

--
Jeff Garzik         | The ultimate Windows 98 keyboard:
Building 1024       | Ctrl, Alt + Del on one big key!