Re: Userland encrypted filesystem that root cannot access.

From: Rogier Wolff (R.E.Wolff@BitWizard.nl)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 14:19:45 EST

Mike A. Harris wrote:
> I agree 100%. However - in this *particular* case, it is only to
> keep a dumb snoop out of private information. Not to keep a
> skilled hacker out. Script kiddie hacking, and password snooping
> is not going to happen here - it isn't that big of a deal. Only
> a simple solution is needed for this particular case.

Consider it another measure in line with the C2 rating of Linux:

Linux is at C2 of the orange book ratings. This means that accidental
access to protected information is blocked.

What Mike is proposing is that a root-user can type "cat
/encrypted_fs/secretfile". Under standard Linux he'd accidentally see
the file without a complaint. This is actually contrary to the C2
rating.

Whatever mike has in mind, he'll move Linux one step further towards
the B rating, as prohibiting root-access to these files is a neccesary
step for aquiring a B rating....

                                Roger.

*       Common sense is the collection of                                *
******  prejudices acquired by age eighteen.   -- Albert Einstein ********