Re: devfs howto

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 15:02:45 EST

Khimenko Victor wrote:

> In <Pine.LNX.4.10.10002191345460.283-100000@solvent> iehrenwald@earthlink.net (iehrenwald@earthlink.net) wrote:
> > Is there a devfs HOWTO somewhere? The README that is in
> > linux/Documentation/filesystems/devfs is terrible, IMO. It doesn't
> > actually give any examples for you to follow.
>
> Just compile kernel with devfs, add
> append="root=/dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/partXX"

I love devfs but have no stomach for typing
        /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part5
when instead I could type
        /dev/hda5

Also, I switch back into 2.2 all the time, so updating /etc/fstab for
devfs is a PITA.

Thus... devfsd. Put it really early in your boot process (I put it in
rc.sysinit), and it will take care of all those old data files which
haven't been converted over to devfs yet.

So, my install process was
        * install 2.3.x kernel
        * install devfsd & devfsd.conf
        * reboot

a couple 'make' commands, a couple 'cp' commands, and you're there...

--
Jeff Garzik         | I never vote for anyone.
Building 1024       | I always vote against.