kapmd eats 2% of my P2/400 all the time

From: Lawrence Manning (lawrence@aslak.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 18:25:47 EST

I'm running 2.3.46. Looks amazing from here, on my not so sophisticated
do-it-all home machine. Responsive at 22 load(!!!)

Question: kampd seems to need 2% of my CPU (according to top) all the
time. Right now my machine has been up 6hours and its been running for
6minutes of that time. What's it doing? Can I turn it off? Might not
seem like much, but thats nearly enough to play a mp3 ;) I just use APM
for poweroff-on-shutdown on this machine. Here are my compile options for
APM ("not set" stuff zapped):

CONFIG_APM=y
CONFIG_APM_DO_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_APM_CPU_IDLE=y

I have the IDLE stuff turned on, but its disabled in the BIOS. I must be
missing something obvious :( Could someone please enlighten me? Im sure
its just a configuration thing that I'm doing wrong. I couldnt dig up ANY
info on it at all... nothing in linux/Documentation, even google comes up
with nothing.

Lawrence