Re: IP autoconfig doesn't work in 2.3.46

From: Wakko Warner (wakko@animx.eu.org)
Date: Sat Feb 19 2000 - 19:25:31 EST

> > > Personally, for diskless machines which boots the kernel directly (no lilo,
> > > no syslinux, etc) this is a good thing. (Or atleast I believe so) I've
> > > never used ip autoconfig using arp except once where I had a digiport server
> > > that would do this but not bootp. Anyway, I atleast hope that bootp
> > > autoconfig isn't removed from the kernel for this reason.
> >
> > Anywhere that a kernel image exists, an initrd image can exist.
>
> Except for very low memory diskless machines.
>
> sizeof(rs support + initrd support + ramdisk size) > sizeof(kernel_bootp)

Exactly my point. For me to make such a disk that I currently make, I
basically:

make oldconfig
make zImage modules
kmodinst <dir for modules> This is a small sh script I wrote from the
                              modules_install target in the Makefile
cp System.map /<dir>/boot/System.map-<kver>
cp arch/i386/boot/zImage /<dir>/boot/vmlinuz-<kver>
change to that boot dir
rdev <kernel> /dev/nfs
rootflags <kernel> 0

foreach floppy I want to create, I cp <kernel> /dev/fd0

With initrd support? Putting kernel on there would require (on a new
floppy, above is a non issue).
mkfs /dev/fd0
mount it
cp <file list> /floppy
cp <kernel> /floppy
lilo -C /floppy

If I want to find out what kernel I'm running (currently)
less -f /dev/fd0 then hit space.

New way.
mount it
less -f <kernel>
unmount it

Does put a considerable overhead to do this. Or to me it does. I use this
senerio to load windoze machines. It works for me. Some times I use them
on low memory machines. Most of the time, I'll compile the kernel at home
(compare a dual pII450 [home] to a dual p5-233mmx [work]. Difference
including download is considerably lower on the home box). I have a nice
little tar file made up that'll untar in the base dir with the modules, and
kernel where I want it.