Re: IP autoconfig doesn't work in 2.3.46

From: Wakko Warner (wakko@animx.eu.org)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 09:50:36 EST

> > With initrd support? Putting kernel on there would require (on a new
> > floppy, above is a non issue).
>
> It is not true. If you use zImage (kernel < 500kB) you should have >700kB
> for compressed ramdisk on the same disketque (unless you use 360k/720k
> floppies). It is enough.

Kernels are usually 650kb or more. I have quite a few network drivers in
the thing so I don't have to make more than one kernel.

> > mkfs /dev/fd0
> > mount it
> > cp <file list> /floppy
> > cp <kernel> /floppy
> > lilo -C /floppy
>
> You still do not need lilo. You can put ramdisk parameters directly into
> kernel using rdev.

Tried this one time before. It didn't work. Kernel couldn't find the
ramdisk.

> However I can't imagine ramdisk loading and starting on a machine with only
> 4MB RAM (eg. 386SX). Question is: mark such hardware as obsolete or keep
> Linux hardware requirement as low as possible ...

My point is, why remove something that's not all that big and WORKS? It's a
helluva lot simpler than the userland way of doing it.