Re: alpha update for 2.3.47-6

From: Richard Henderson (rth@twiddle.net)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 14:40:42 EST

On Sun, Feb 20, 2000 at 07:56:00PM +0100, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> Having a way to cleanly include architectural
> code is good IMHO. Such file it's just like asm/pgtable.h.

I do not disagree with this.

But at the moment asm/pgtable.h is used by all sorts of generic code,
and asm/hw_irq.h by none. I don't think I'm being unreasonable --
show me some generic irq code that needs architectural support and
I'll add or move what's needed.

> Just to make an example hw_resend_irq will be certainly need by the
> generic part of the kernel.

As an aside, how exactly do you intend to implement hw_resend_irq
on alpha? On x86, I see that it fiddles the IOAPIC to do the job;
there is no similar trick on alpha. Your implementation was a nop,
which just doesn't seem possible.

Perhaps I simply misunderstand what that thing is supposed to be
trying to accomplish. And for that I might consider the complete
lack of documentation a sort of bug. ;-)

r~