Re: devfs howto

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@dell.sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 20:06:23 EST

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Richard Gooch wrote:

> Khimenko Victor writes:
> > To Gooch: BTW why it's so ? To confuse innocent souls ?
>
> I prefer "Richard" :-)
>
> I think the confusion is partly due to people expecting to be able to
> just compile it in and everything will "just work". With the Great
> Name Change, that's no longer possible. You either have to install
> devfsd to get the old names back, or you spend time fixing
> configuration files and software that make invalid assumptions.
>
> Also, the README could probably use some work. I've been doing that
> slowly (amidst the flood of emails). I've appended an extract from the
> current README that will hopefully help.

Uhh. I asked MUCH simplier question: why devices are named
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part1
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part2
/dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/part3
but on bootup you'll see:
-- cut --
SCSI device sda: hdwr sector= 512 bytes. Sectors= 35841015 [17500 MB] [17.5 GB]
 /dev/scsi/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1 p2 p3
-- cut --

Of course it's just cosmetic but IMHO better to use partX in all places or
pX in old places to avaoid confusions...