Re: Proposed SyncPPP layer modifications

From: Jan Kasprzak (kas@informatics.muni.cz)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 12:00:07 EST

Gergely Madarasz wrote:
: On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, Jan Kasprzak wrote:
:
: > Proposal 2: implement the common device allocation & registration code
: > similar to the init_etherdev() and ether_setup() routines.
:
: The problem I see with this: only syncppp and hdlc protocols can be used
: on those devices this way. The comx drivers support lapb thru the lapb
: stack, and they have a minimal frame relay support too. This would mean
: that different protocols need different initialization stuff, etc... which
: would make quite a mess, unless all the possible sync serial protocols are
: integrated into the syncppp driver... So I don't think this is a good
: idea.

        Folks, I have proposed the init_spppdev() as a _helper_ function,
nothing more. For the ethernet device, you don't have to use init_etherdev()
if you want to allocate, name, and register the device yourself.
The ether_setup() (and sppp_attach()) is here to help you in this case.

-Yenya

--
\ Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak <kas at fi.muni.cz>       http://www.fi.muni.cz/~kas/
\\ PGP: finger kas at aisa.fi.muni.cz   0D99A7FB206605D7 8B35FCDE05B18A5E //