Re: Proposed SyncPPP layer modifications

From: Jan Kasprzak (kas@informatics.muni.cz)
Date: Sun Feb 20 2000 - 12:08:54 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
: > that different protocols need different initialization stuff, etc... which
: > would make quite a mess, unless all the possible sync serial protocols are
: > integrated into the syncppp driver... So I don't think this is a good
: > idea.
:
: Unless we make them all have a common interface so you can just do say
:
: sync_protocol_set(&hdlc_proto_ops);
:
: or ppp_proto_ops
:
: etc..

        I think it will be difficult, if not impossible. Think about
the devices with virtual interfaces (channelized E1/E3, frame relay, etc.).
You can let your X.21 interface to run syncppp, hdlc, rawip, FR or channelized
E1. And you can run syncppp or hdlc on each channel of that E1, too.

-Yenya

--
\ Jan "Yenya" Kasprzak <kas at fi.muni.cz>       http://www.fi.muni.cz/~kas/
\\ PGP: finger kas at aisa.fi.muni.cz   0D99A7FB206605D7 8B35FCDE05B18A5E //