Re: Virtual mounts

From: Tony Hoyle (tmh@magenta-logic.com)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 13:09:21 EST

Alexander Viro wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Feb 2000, Tony Hoyle wrote:
>
> > I had an idea in the bath yesterday :-)
> >
> > I had the idea of the 'virtual mount'. Basically you mount with -o virtual, and the vfs records
> > the mount details, then returns immediately. When the first non-stat operation is done on the mount
> > point, the mount actually happens.
>
> Already done (first by Sun, IIRC). RTFM on automounter/amd/autofs

Autofs is no good for me - I've tried it, it craps out if you try to make /mnt an autofs directory... If you use another
one you can't 'ls' it because it'll try to mount every share at once... That's why the 2.2 kernels have supermount (which
has its own problems, like it doesn't recognise disk change sometimes).

It's not important to me if it never makes it into the mainstream kernels, really. I'm just trying to 'scratch an itch'.

Tony

--

"Now you too can enjoy having babies... start collecting today" (Recent advert)

tmh@magenta-logic.com