Re: Problems with IDE IRQ detection ?

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 15:18:24 EST

In <Pine.LNX.4.10.10002211110440.5584-100000@home.suse.com> Andre Hedrick (andre@suse.com) wrote:
AH> On Sat, 19 Feb 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:

>> Hello!
>>
>> This is my fourth try to ask you about my problem. IDE drivers do not detect
>> my TEKRAM IDE controller. That is: current IDE drivers can not do this.
>> Version from 2.2.5 work just fine (as well as version from 2.2.2). Version
>> from 2.2.10 and 2.3.36 can not detect IRQ. Settings for that controller
>> is slightly unusual: ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 22. Do you have any
>> ideas ?

AH> Which "TEKRAM" controller to you have exactly?

Tekram 690 AFAIK. NOT TRM290 for sure.

AH> Your dmesg states a TRM290, and a TEKRAM DC-6X0X IDE........

dmesg states that TRM290 driver is there. And this is true -- this is kernel
with ALL ide quirk chips enabled (KSI-Linux generic kernel). It's not used
(I hope). Anyway: system works just fine with 2.2.5 and with any current version
of kernel it also works. Just speed is miserable (understandable: each IDE
operation ends with timeout, not by interrupt from IDE): 1-2KiB/sec...

AH> I am puzzled, thus I have delayed a reply while look up info.

Even if wrong driver for that tekram was chosen it does not affect
functionality: all works just fine with 2.2.2 & 2.2.5. With 2.2.10 and/or
2.3.36 all works but REALLY slow: in new kernels wrong IRQ is chosen and this
DOES affect functionality :-(( I tried to look on IRQ detection code in IDE
but it looks like total mess for innocent soul :-/

>> P.S. EEpro100 detects IRQs 20 & 21 assigned for two EEPro100 NICs just fine.
>> In 2.2.5, 2.2.10 and 2.3.36...

P.S. I can supply you any needed info, just not very fast: it's our main server
so I can not experiment with it freely :-/