Re: accept() improvements for rt signals

From: Dan Kegel (dank@alumni.caltech.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 23:11:56 EST

Dean Gaudet wrote:
> > A ghost read event could cause this code to terminate a new connection prematurely.
> > This isn't a performance problem, it's a reliability problem.
>
> hmm? i don't see how that could be. the "ghost" is just an event, when
> you do the actual read() you'll get back a true value -- you most
> certainly won't get an EOF unless the fd is at eof.

Mea culpa. I believe I have been confused about when read returns 0.

I still like accept2(), but agree that leaking spurious events
during a series of calls to accept(), ioctl(), etc. might not
be a horrible thing. People who have written real servers are
better suited to judge that than I am.
- Dan