Re: new or old devfs naming scheme (Was: Re: devfs howto)

From: Albert D. Cahalan (acahalan@cs.uml.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 21 2000 - 16:28:52 EST

Sergey Kubushin writes:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch wrote:
>> Sergey Kubushin wrote:

>>> BTW, why /dev/disCs, not /dev/disKs ? :))
>>
>> Seagate naming ? As opposed to IBM, Maxtor, Quantum, Toshiba, Fujitsu,
>> Hitachi, Samsung, NEC ("disk" or "disk drive"), and Western Digital
>> (just "drive").

Western Digital has it right. Rotating media might someday be about
as popular as core memory. ("core" = tiny wire wrapped magnetic bits)

IBM mainframe terminology is also correct. DASD is the term for a
"direct access storage device", meaning almost anything but a tape.

> And it is not such thing as "disc" anywhere in the kernel. We know
> ide-disk.o, we know /dev/dsk/ from others...

Yes, most UNIX(R) systems use /dev/dsk. This fits well with the
tradition of using 3-letter names. (dev tmp var usr etc...)

Only a GUI user could love the names we have now.
In fact, the new names remind me of what NT uses.
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)
Hmmm... the UnixWare names are much better.

> I do know that it's colour which is right, not color. And I do know that
> it's disc which is in English, not disk. But it could be confusing to
> remember that it's disc in devfs and disk everywhere else... No matter which
> one is wrong, it has to be consistent...

Well, both are wrong. "disc" is merely worse than "disk".

I used to really want devfs in the kernel. The names were usable and my
system wouldn't need to depend on extra daemons.

I suppose devfs can still be used like /devices on Solaris.
This is far less useful. Here I am, an early devfs supporter,
and I really don't want to use the result.