Re: lowlatency-2.2.14-B1 + 2.2.14aa7 fixes crash, but...

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 12:33:54 EST

On Tue, 22 Feb 2000, William Montgomery wrote:

> Sorry, I spoke too soon. It just took longer this time.
> BTW, my machine no longer crashes/oopses it only gets a stuck process.
> I now have /bin/sync stuck in state D. Details below:

it could either a bug in the lowlatency patchset (likely), or a bug in the
kernel (less likely but possible). Could you remove all lowlatency changes
that are in the sync_buffers() function, or buffer.c/fs.h functions called
by sync_buffers()? It's tough to debug problems like this (apart from
considering all the changes done) - some sort of blind searching might
help. It's likely a change in fs.h or buffer.c.

the b_count++; schedule(); b_count-- solution is buggy as is but
conceptually ok - do a 'b_count++; schedule(); b_count--; goto repeat;'
and everything should be fine. (careful, there is one codepath where 'goto
repeat2;' is the correct solution because there are more loops within one
function)

-- mingo