Re: UDMA Problem on VIA chipset - K7M motherboard

From: Robert A. Morris (ramorris@mit.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 13:56:33 EST

> The man page for hdparm SPECIFICALLY says using -X is likely to cause fs
> corruption. DO NOT use it.
> I'm running a k7m and athlon 500. After remvoing -X66, i've had no more
> problems

Agreed, the man page does say that. But it seemed to work fine with my
old mainboard (Tyan S1590S/VIA MVP3), and the UDMA HOWTO indicates that it
should work fine with any newer VIA chipset. Additionally after further
testing all it seems to need is -d 1 all by itself to cause some superblock
corruption (maybe the drives are already in an UDMA mode after booting?).

I do have the correct 80-conductor cable, counted the wires to make sure,
and the drives definitely do support up to UDMA mode 4.

Is there any way to get this to work? There's a drastic speed improvement
with -X 66 (hdparm -t goes from not quite 5 mb/sec to just over 21 mb/sec)
and I'd love to get it to work. Thanks!

--
Robert A. Morris <ramorris@mit.edu>