S.M.A.R.T. drive after 2.3.47-3 PIIX tuning being on

From: Wakko Warner (wakko@animx.eu.org)
Date: Tue Feb 22 2000 - 19:37:01 EST

[this is a laptop machine]

I have an odd problem. In previous 2.3 kernels, I always turned off piix
tuning. When I compiled 2.3.47-3, I decided to enable it. I ran the system
for a while and put it into suspend mode. I brought it out, everything is
fine.

I shutdown the box (powered off). When I brought it back up, the bios tells
me 'S.M.A.R.T. Capable - Command Failed'. This is an NEC Versa SX laptop
with a Hitachi DK23AA-12 (12gb drive). I don't know how to fix this, I'm
not even sure if it was the kernel's fault or not. Anyone know how to fix
this?