Re: Shared library problem

From: Marc SCHAEFER (schaefer@alphanet.ch)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 14:01:53 EST

Mark Stanford <mark@orville.yi.org> wrote:
> from disk, but when they are deleted they are cached in RAM. It seems to
> me that if they are overwritten they should also be cached in RAM in the
> same way, for consistency's sake--and the result of not doing this is

This is my understanding:

case 1:
   rm library.so; cp library.so.NEW library.so
   # You have just changed the inode. The library `file' is still
   # open and referenced, and thus will be deleted only when closed.
   # Presumably new programs will start using the new version
   # (it's probably best to use mv, unless cp doesn't need library.so)

case 2:
   cp library.so.NEW library.so
   # You overwrite data in the shared library. Bad.

I would have expected case 2 to return `Text file busy' as it does
on many UNIXen.

> Please cc responses to mark@orville.yi.org as I am not subscribed to

will do.