Re: Applying ext3 0.0.2c patches to 2.2.14-1.3.0.14

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Feb 23 2000 - 16:31:28 EST

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000 11:39:19 -0800, Marc MERLIN <marc_news@valinux.com>
said:

> I'm trying to integrate your patches with a VA kernel that HJ Lu based
> on the RH kernel in rawhide.

OK.

> I was able to apply your patch without major problems, except in one place
> where the code looked a bit different.

> - sync_supers(dev);
> sync_inodes(dev);
> + sync_supers(dev);

Yes, the only hint to the filesystem that it's time to do a full commit
is when we get the sync_supers() call, so that really has to be done
after we've let the inode cache flush dirty inodes to the filesystem.

> After I applied it by hand, my tree looks like this:
> (note that the buffer syncing moved down)

> Are the syncs done in the right order? Is the version shown here safe
> to use?

No, you'd really want to do the DQUOT_SYNC before the sync_supers() for
the same reason that we do the inodes before, but definitely we want to
do the sync_buffers() last.

Cheers,
 Stephen