Re: Of removable devices

From: Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 09:18:26 EST

Hi,

On Thu, 24 Feb 2000 14:59:10 +0300 (MSK), "Khimenko Victor"
<khim@sch57.msk.ru> said:

> What if said daemon keep results on floppy (findfast again) ? Not all
> filesystems can safely tolerate removal of floppy with files opened for
> writing...

You can play "what if" games forever. Sadly, what we have to deal with
here is the unfortunate situation in which the hardware is basically
bust, allowing the user to cause arbitrary amounts of mischief. What if
the user removes the disk in the middle of write and corrupts the disk
in the process? What if the user removes the disk and drops it in the
waste bin? What if the user removes the disk and disappears away for a
2 week holiday?

The media can be removed at any time, with no guarantee of getting it
back. That's the reality we have to live with, and yes, it is
unfortunate, but we have to live with this reality for the next few
years at least.

> Arrrgggh. Lets see:
> 1. RedHat 10.0 includes supermount and it's on by default.
> 2. User ejected floppy with corrupted document.
> 3. He sues RedHat for 10'000'000$ and claims (rightfully) that there are
> NO violated points in instruction.

> Is it Ok for you ? Not for me. At least with umount accurate user can
> guarantee that data will not be corrupt. With pop-up windows such
> gurantee is also exist. With supermount there are NO such guarantee.

No. If the user can remove the disk at any time, the disk can be
corrupted: removing the media during a write can trash sector
information on neighbouring tracks. Secondly, the instructions can be
as simple as "don't remove the disk while you are still writing files to
it." That's simple enough.

--Stephen