Re: 2.3.4[67] does not boot with PAE36

From: Ingo Molnar (mingo@chiara.csoma.elte.hu)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 15:52:00 EST

On 23 Feb 2000, Christoph Rohland wrote:

> Hi Ingo,
>
> This time it hangs for a while after 'loading test......' and then
> automagically reboots.

one bug is fixed by the attached patch, but then we spontaneously reboot
later at SMP init time (we somewhere get confused around head.S in when
booting secondary CPUs). Anyway, without SMP PAE should already work with
the attached patch. Looking for the other bug now.

(the bug was that we allocated and initialized secondary PAE page tables
outside the 8MB initial virtual memory - bootmem_alloc_pages() prefers to
return addresses above 16MB on x86.)

-- mingo