Re: Linux console driver maintainer?

From: Guest section DW (dwguest@win.tue.nl)
Date: Thu Feb 24 2000 - 16:43:37 EST

On Thu, Feb 24, 2000 at 12:18:18PM -0500, Mike A. Harris wrote:

> I've looked at the code and vc_resize() in console.c appears to
> resize every single VC simultaneously. I'd like to make it not
> do that, but I assume it does for a good reason. Anyone care to
> explain why? If no great reason exists, I'd like to hack it up
> to work just for me... I don't want to shoot myself in the foot
> though in the mean time.

When I wrote this code many years ago (I mean: dynamic allocation
of consoles and resizing) my first version allowed for VCs all of a
different size. However, that didnt work well for me, so I threw
out all complications and only put the current code in the kernel.
(Well, I don't know whether it still is the current code, haven't
looked at it for five years.)

What was wrong about different sizes?
One thing was that the kernel does not have detailed information
about all video cards and video modes, so cannot easily change
video modes, so an external program was needed. The present system,
where Alt-RightArrow cycles through all consoles is easy and convenient,
and needs no userspace support.
Another thing was that my monitor/videocard at that time required
several seconds to stabilize after a mode change. So even with
userspace support working with more than a single text mode was
unpleasant.

But if you have hardware that handles mode changes well, and
you have the user space support then it is quite possible to do
what you want. Probably I would not change the kernel, but
make a program listen to KeyboardSignal generated by Alt-UpArrow
and let this program do a chvt LogVT followed by a mode change,
and make the next KeyboardSignal change back to the original VT.
In that way looking at the log and going back is pressing
Alt-UpArrow twice, even better than Alt-Fn followed by Alt-Fm.
It would be a 20-line program.

Andries