Re: 2.2.X SMP CPU utilization issues .. Known ?

From: Ville Herva (vherva@niksula.hut.fi)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 09:16:39 EST

From: Patrick Cole <z@amused.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2000 16:32:14 -0500 (EST)
Subject: 2.2.X SMP CPU utilization issues .. Known ?

> I have a dual celeron machine, and am having problems with 2.2.X. The
> problems being that programs appear to be using almost half of my total
> processing power, when they really should not, which is strange. Now the
> interesting thing is that this problem does not occur in 2.3.X.

I have the same problem. X seems to constantly take at least 30% CPU, even
if nothing is should irritate it. At first, X takes 0-1% when idle, but
after 1-2 days of use, the percentage raises to ~30% until I restart X.
Xmms also takes 5-15% even if it is not playing anything (paused/stopped).

I use 2.2.14 and BP6 (2x466Celeron).

ISRT others have reported this sort of thing on the Abit-linux mailing
lists as well.

-- v --

v@iki.fi