Re: down_trylock doesn't preserve irqstate

From: Rajagopal Ananthanarayanan (ananth@sgi.com)
Date: Fri Feb 25 2000 - 18:11:38 EST

"David S. Miller" wrote:

> Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2000 14:37:13 -0800
> From: Rajagopal Ananthanarayanan <ananth@sgi.com>
>
> One problem we encountered in using down_trylock is that
> __down_trylock() uses spin_lock_irq() and spin_unlock_irq(), which
> does not preserve the interrupt state of the caller.
>
> You should not acquire a semaphore with interrupts disabled.
>
> And if the semaphore sleeps, you'll end up with IRQs enabled when it
> wakes up.
>
> A few months ago we went scattering around fixing up places
> which assumed IRQ state was preserved across sleep points,
> let's not add new ones (and thus new bugs).

Right, if it were a sleep point, I agree.
But my understanding is that down_trylock()
is not one of those: isn't it used for conditionally
acquiring the semaphore? That is, if semaphore available,
get the semaphore, otherwise don't bother?
And a quick check reveals __down_trylock is used
only in down_trylock path, not by down() variants
which can sleep.

regards,

ananth.