/dev/console should it always be available?

From: Mike Panetta (mpanetta@realminfo.com)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 11:45:01 EST

Should /dev/console always be available even if there is no
video card or keyboard on a machine? I keep getting these
messages in the logs about init not being able to open(/dev/console)
when I remove the video card from an embedded box I am working on.
when I do this strange things start to happen like it cannot properly
umount /dev/hda5 (not root partition) on shutdown, and mingetty starts
to respawn to fast. This is related to a previous message I sent to the
list about a week ago reguarding the ext2 corruption messages without
a video card in the machine. Since then I have upgraded all the libraries
to be compilant with the rquirements in Documentation/Changes and the
corruption has gone away. Now I am stuck with unclean mounts and other
random occurences...

What am I to do?

Thanks,
Mike Panetta