Re: /proc/nzombies

From: Ricky Beam (jfbeam@bluetopia.net)
Date: Sat Feb 26 2000 - 14:34:00 EST

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Peter T. Breuer wrote:
>"A month of sundays ago Jos Visser wrote:"
>> Let's extend the kernel with a /proc/nzombies feature that tells the
>> current number of zombies. This is handy for system and network
>> monitoring purposes. I did some homework and it is a quite trivial
>
>It's not at all daft. Why not put them in /proc/lost+found/ instead?

<humor>
Would I have to run mklost+found on /proc? Would it be a 12k directory
like every other lost+found?

And, would one have to run fsck.proc to get the zombies in there?
</humor>

Might I suggest a /proc/0/... tree of process information? (task[0] is
the kernel after all.) It would help reduce the clutter in /proc. It
would take a minor change to psmisc to prevent it from scanning it as
a regular process assuming the regular process information isn't filled
in. (It'd look something like the NT "System Idle" process which people
may rightly resist.)

--Ricky