Re: 2.3.47 imac build?

From: Paul Mackerras (paulus@linuxcare.com)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 05:32:18 EST

On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Jeff Garzik wrote:

> PPC arch compiles with -fno-builtin. Why is this? It seems sub-optimal
> and non-uniform, leading to little platform discrepancies like this...

Have you tried it without -fno-builtin? If you do, gcc grumbles about
various procedures not having the prototypes it expects, in particular
memset, memcpy, and memcmp. It's not obvious from the warning messages
you get exactly what prototype gcc is expecting.

In general there's no particular reason why a function named `memcpy' in
the kernel should have the same prototype (or even the same behaviour) as
a function named `memcpy' in a userland program, which is why we use
-fno-builtin.

--
Paul Mackerras, Senior Open Source Researcher, Linuxcare, Inc.
+61 2 6262 8990 tel, +61 2 6262 8991 fax