Re: Linux ARP

From: Gregory Maxwell (greg@linuxpower.cx)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 10:17:49 EST

On Sat, 26 Feb 2000, Brian wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Feb 2000, Gregory Maxwell wrote:
>

> > This has been brought up on the list many times. The host RFC seems to
> > indicate that a host should respond to ARPs for any of it's addresses.
>
> Do you know the RFC's number?

I think 1122 is about host requirements. Thats probably it, but if my
memory is bad, do a search for 'host' and 'requirements'.

The behavior of Linux in this area that is mostly in dispute is:

 eth1 - [linux] - eth2

where eth1 is set to 192.168.1.1/24
and eth2 is set to 192.168.2.1/24

Linux will respond to an arp for 192.168.2.1 on eth1 and vice versa. Even
more amusing.. Linux will happly talk as 192.168.2.1 on eth1.