Re: 3Com support broken in 2.3.47

From: Andi Kleen (ak@suse.de)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 13:51:32 EST

Alan Cox <alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> writes:

> > I'm beginning to wonder why the 3com NIC driver isn't being integrated into
> > the kernel. From what I've heard, it's significantly more efficient. Surely,
> > with the size user-base of linux, 3com and the kernel team would want it in
> > the kernel?
>
> 3Com's driver is X86 only, crashes in seconds SMP and despite the SMP problem
> being reported (at least claimed to be reported) to 3com by several people who
> I've also talked to about 3c59x/3c90x hangs has never been fixed.

It also has a very broken link detection state machine. When you don't
have link on the wire when the driver is loaded and uped it goes into some
undefined state where you can neither unload nor down it. The same happens
when it loses link during operation.

Apparently the window version has similar problems.

-Andi