Re: intermittent NFS hangs from NetApp

From: Alan Cox (alan@lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk)
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 15:49:07 EST

> When the problem occurs, all processes that touch the mount are
> indefinitly hung. Errors in messages show up:
> Feb 24 18:08:04 dhp0020 kernel: nfs: server 192.168.0.253 not
> responding, still trying
> Feb 24 18:08:04 dhp0020 kernel: nfs: server 192.168.0.253 not
> responding, still trying

As far as its concerned the netapp isnt talking

> The problem is immediately solved with a simple umount -f; which fails
> because of the current processes, but it fixes the hang! When I do
> umount -f, all of the waiting processes get a failed read, but they
> continue normally.

That suggests a wakeup got missed somewhere. It doesnt fit the netapp
not talking. Either the netapp is losing a consistent request or it is
the nfs client in the kernel. Both are possible, only doing some network
dumps (tcpdump with -l 1514 and asked to decode NFS frames) done when it
starts hanging would tell