Re: Linux ARP

From: Kjetil Torgrim Homme (
Date: Sun Feb 27 2000 - 14:50:46 EST

[Alan Cox]

> > right. But the address that did the querying is not in the same
> > subnet as the address it was asking for. With BSDI For example,
> > it will not respond
> ARP doesnt care. If someone asks for an address it will
> reply. They probably shouldnt have asked for the address but since
> they did they assume we are locally reachable and we oblige.

So an admin can adjust this behaviour with ipfilter? I mean, if there
are relevant forwarding rules, they should be consulted before
responding to the ARP request. Looks like someone(tm) must have such
a network and care sufficiently to implement it, though.

> I don't see any spec violation

I agree.

Kjetil T.

the body of a message to