Re: PROBLEM: Network interface fails after RX packet count cycles back to zero

From: Richard B. Johnson (root@chaos.analogic.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 11:20:15 EST

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Jon Rifkin wrote:

> I have a problem which I think may originate in the kernel.
> Below is the problem in the format recommended in the
> REPORTING-BUGS file.
>
> Thanks for your time.

The most important information is missing. What is the ethernet board
driver you are using?

The packet-counter is not really involved in any way. In other words,
when the counter reaches max the network doesn't stop because of it.
In fact, the packet counter used to wrap past zero.

What you probably have is a driver that stops working after some
period to time. This has been known to happen with some boards and,
in fact, there are some software work-arounds in some of the drivers
to restart the boards.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson

Penguin : Linux version 2.3.41 on an i686 machine (800.63 BogoMips).