Re: How to survive in a Micro$oft environment??

From: Jeff V. Merkey (jmerkey@timpanogas.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 12:56:54 EST

Olaf,

You should leave probing in -- but test your code more thoroughly and in
multi-vendor configurations. I am also wondering if SLP (Service
Locator Protocol) is supported on most routers today, including linux,
and if there's an alternate method to using ICMP to discover a
gateway/DNS/DHCP server address with SLP. It would be preferable to
using a spamming method. I've also noticed that even when you probe
without the network barfing, LIZARD will get confused and replicate the
same address across several machines (three machines installed with 2.3
all claimed 207.109.151.240 as their address, then promptly crashed my
FTP server).

It's also OK to just let folks input their own IP addresse, but you
shouldn't give up on getting this feature right. MS NT/2000 does NOT
provide this level of capability, in their install (except for DHCP).

The following produtcs all exhibit this problem, and can crash segments
of the internet if an MS NT sever is being used as the Gateway, DNS or
DHCP server on the same Network with Caldera OpenLinux and Open Linux
talks to it during a LIZARD install:

OpenLinux 2.2 Desktop
OpenLinux 2.3 Desktop
OpenLinux eServer 2.3

I tested all three this weekend, and successfully crashed our T1 and a
portion of the internet in Salt Lake City for about 5 minutes for each
test run. I was surprised to see 2.2 crash as well. I also tested the
latest 2.3 on Caldera's Website, and it also will crash internet users
by generating massive spamming packet storms.

In other words, everything Caldera has shipped in the past year or is
shipping now seems to have this problem, and is a toxic combo if
combined with any MS NT/2000 servers on the same network.

This need to get fixed ASAP. The only solution for customers at present
with mixed networks is to unplug the networking cable from the back of
the system during LIZARD install, manually enter the TCPIP info, then
reboot the machine prior to attempting to plug it into a live network.

Jeff