Re: pci_enable_device()

From: Jeff Garzik (jgarzik@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 15:44:48 EST

Petr Vandrovec wrote:
> for current matroxfb release I read through PCI docs and decided that
> doing pci_enable_device() is right thing to do even for me. Unfortunately,
> now I have problem how to find, which of VGA devices was primary and which
> not.
> Is there some recommended solution for this task or should I return back
> to my old code, which thought that if device is not enabled, it is second
> head (and needs full initialization) and if it is enabled, it is primary
> head (initialized by BIOS and doing primary console)? I need this because
> of matroxfb cannot initialize all types of hardware around, so it
> initializes it only when it really needs.

Petr,

I think pci_enable_device is a good idea for all devices, since it does
other stuff than just twiddling PCI_COMMAND bits. fbdev devices are of
course a special case though :) I was thinking about something like the
following for s3fb...

s3fb_init_one()
        save state of PCI_COMMAND
        call pci_enable_device
        handle POST, possibly requiring VGA I/O ports
        disable I/O region decoding

--
Jeff Garzik              | "Are you the police?"
Building 1024            |