RE: Odd NFS behaviour

From: Andrew Park (apark@cdf.toronto.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 28 2000 - 16:35:29 EST

On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Andrew Pounce (UK) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> this isnt anything like squash_root is on and you are doing the ls as root??
>
> That would possibly mean that the contents are not visible??

Thanks for the response
But I am doing the 'ls' as the user who owns the directory and down. And
I do have permission to access them. The home directory can be mounted
in following manner

        mount fileserver:/homes /nfssrv/homes

and my home directory is

        /nfssrv/homes/apark

Executing 'ls' in my default home directory works fine. But the problem
occured when I 'cd'ed into one of the subdirectories under /nfssrv/homes/apark
namely /nfssrv/homes/apark/src. All of a sudden 'ls' returned blank. I
can almost re-generate this problem (2 out of 3 times).

        1. The nfs server exports with squash_root on
        2. Log in as root on the console of NFS client.
        3. Try 'ls'ing one of the NFSed directories (try the ones with
           'others' permission off, i.e. rwxr-x---).
           In my case I do
                ls ~apark
        4. I log in as user 'apark' on the client (on the console)
        5. user apark executes 'ls' and it returns nothing.

I just ran a few more tests and it's kinda interesting. While 'ls' does not
return anything, I login as 'apark' from somewhere else (either on the console
or remote), and all of sudden 'ls' displays proper content.
I've seen something similar to this happening with 2.2.5 kernel before. In
both cases there were other platforms involved. Any pointers will be
appreciated.

Andrew Park