Re: How to survive in a Micro$oft environment??

From: Anton Ivanov (aivanov@eu.level3.net)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 06:08:05 EST

On 28-Feb-2000 Richard B. Johnson wrote:
> On Mon, 28 Feb 2000, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:
>
> [SNIPPED...]
>>
>> This need to get fixed ASAP. The only solution for customers at present
>> with mixed networks is to unplug the networking cable from the back of
>> the system during LIZARD install, manually enter the TCPIP info, then
>> reboot the machine prior to attempting to plug it into a live network.
>>

> What is it that Linux (not some program shipped by some vendor) is doing
> wrong that should be fixed? Is it replying to an inquiry incorrectly?

Nothing.

It is a vendor app problem.

[snip]

The more interesting thing is what exactly happened in your case.

Unfortunately Jeff Merkey did "The Jeff thing (TM)" (i.e. distracting the entire
list with what Caldera/RedHat/etc does/does not do to solve his problems). So
the following stands open:

1. I think it is not just rwhod, any broadcast would have done the same.

2. What network setup caused NT respond to a foreign IP interface broadcast and
should we accomodate for this (i.e. NO shared setup like having different
subnets share same media).

3. Linux treated the broadcasts as invalid. Your initial posts correspond to :
        /*
         * Check the other end isnt violating RFC 1122. Some routers send
         * bogus responses to broadcast frames. If you see this message
         * first check your netmask matches at both ends, if it does then
         * get the other vendor to fix their kit.
         */

in /usr/src/linux/net/ipv4/icmp.c

Is it a setup problem or something which should/must be blamed on M$.

Cheers ;-)

Anton R. Ivanov
IP Engineer Level3 Communications
RIPE: ARI2-RIPE E-Mail: Anton Ivanov <aivanov@eu.level3.net>
@*** Stilwell's Observation ***
      The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind.