Re: 2.3.48 devfs problem

From: Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 14:07:53 EST

On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:

> In <200002270939.UAA12745@mobilix.atnf.CSIRO.AU> Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au) wrote:
> > This is NOT a devfs problem. USB has it's own device filesystem (or
> > whatever it is). It doesn't use the "real" devfs.
>
> Arrgh... Do we REALLY need TWO devfs's in kernel ???

Yeah... "procfs sucks, it's cluttered like hell, let's clean everything
up". And thus two filesystems full of much trickier stuff went in...

Kinda reminds of the history behind CP-1251, doesn't it?

Seriously, guys - why the fuck did usbdevfs end up (a) outside of fs/*
and (b) with unpronouncable name? I mean, ewwww...