Re: What /proc should contain [was: /proc/driver/microcode]

From: Horst von Brand (vonbrand@pincoya.inf.utfsm.cl)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 15:22:51 EST

"Mark H. Wood" <mwood@IUPUI.Edu> said:

[...]

> But now look at that first line. Those tags must be fixed text or we get
> all the same old respelling problems. So why didn't we just have
>
> $ cat /proc/something/rate
> 12
> $ cat /proc/something/limit
> 45
> $ cat /proc/something/average
> 8.4
> $ cat /proc/something/eventname
> Some String
>
> I had to know that rate, limit, and average are numbers, and average is a
> float, and eventname is a string, in order to use them, so now the formats
> are irrelevant.

Now the spellink problem moves to the filenames. Plus rate, limit, average
and eventname can't be read in one swoop anymore, so they will be out of
sync. Also, instead of opening, reading, and closing 1 file, they are now
4. Not relevant for human consumption, but could be a performance
bottleneck for /proc frobbing programs.

--
Dr. Horst H. von Brand                       mailto:vonbrand@inf.utfsm.cl