Re: Linux's future: //posix/ipc, //root and so on ?

From: Khimenko Victor (khim@sch57.msk.ru)
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 16:26:07 EST

In <Pine.GSO.4.10.10002291513250.14088-100000@weyl.math.psu.edu> Alexander Viro (viro@math.psu.edu) wrote:

AV> On Tue, 29 Feb 2000, Khimenko Victor wrote:

>> I've just reread Linus's notes about IPC filesystem and to me idea about
>> metafiles "above" usual root looks great: //proc for /proc, //dev for devfs
>> and so on. No need to mount in every chroot environment, not need to manual
>> mount anything at all, easy change of root: just umount //root and mount
>> other thing there. And POSIX agrees that //root or //proc CAN be special
>> so all is correct. So just kernel changes are needed. Right ? Not quite:

>> What do you think ?

AV> Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww... We don't need to implement Weirdnix - Dave Cutler
AV> had already done that.

Hmm. I've heard that Unix also existed as well long before Linux was
implemented...

AV> The whole Missed'em'V IPC thing is a completely fucked up API (OK, as the
AV> whole Missed'em'V API is) and we'ld better add a filesystem, and mount it
AV> during the boot like every honest UNIX should do with filesystems.

Linux HAS SVR4's IPC. What it does not have is POSIX's IPC. And what you want
to do with chroot, BTW ? YOU were one who complained about problems with devfs
in chroot'ed environment AFAIK. And YOU want still more such problems ??

AV> But doing it via magic names? Yuk. _Please_, don't do that.

Ok. What's alternative ? BTW I can not do this (and it was Linus's idea, not
mine after all).