Minicom /dev/ttySx on PPC 2.2.15pre slows system to a crawl, unmaintained RAID still undocumented

From: Adam C Powell IV (hazelsct@mit.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 08:49:59 EST

Greetings,

Simply running "minicom /dev/ttyS0" or S1 on my machine with 2.2.15pre
(since pre5, I've tested through pre10) slows it to a crawl (at most 1%
of CPU is available for everything else, sometimes less, I'm using E
ripples as a heartbeat though the problem occurs with or without X
running).

The funny thing is, if I revert to 2.2.13 and try "minicom /dev/ttyS1"
it says something like ttyS1 is locked. (2.2.14 doesn't boot on PPC.)

If this is just a case of "elevator-starvation/latency", just let me
know, I know that's being worked on. Just want to make sure you know
about this serial problem in case it is different.

Machine details: StarMax 3000/160 (Motorola pmac 4400 clone) with 160
MHz 603e, Debian potato with setserial 2.17-8 running from /dev/hdb6 and
7. [By the way, the machine used to *always* panic on power-up boot
during IDE initialization, and *always* succeed on reboot, now it never
panics on power-up boot. Thanks very much to whoever's responsible!]

One other thing: I still haven't seen any changes to
Documentation/md.txt, Documentation/Changes,
Documentation/Configure.help or drivers/block/Config.in to reflect the
unmaintained nature of the RAID drivers in the stock kernel, and
RAID5/IDE/SMP brokenness. This is a very serious documentation bug. As
I've flamed before on this list, it cost me several days of system
downtime and of my own time last Fall, and people shouldn't need to be
on linux-kernel to be able to use features on a stable kernel. Please
correct this for 2.2.15, with the patch I sent to this list 1/25 or
something similar.

Please cc me on all replies.

Thanks very much in advance,

--
      Adam Powell                     http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/
      Thomas B. King Assistant Professor of Materials Engineering