Re: Elevator problems began at... 2.3.FORTY-THREE-pre7 to be exact :)

From: David S. Miller (davem@redhat.com)
Date: Wed Mar 01 2000 - 19:49:28 EST

   Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2000 16:33:31 -0800 (PST)
   From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com>

   On Thu, 2 Mar 2000, Andrea Arcangeli wrote:
> It's softnet. I'll do a few traces now and I'll let you know what's going
> on. Thanks!

   Softnet is certainly there too. But I thought that Lawrence was trying the
   filesystem-only portion of the simulated dbench.

   Lawrence? Are you using the full dbench with sockets and networking, or
   are you just replaying the IO part of it?

I think he's just doing the disk portion of dbench.

Softnet could be to blame in that there may be a salient
bad side-effect to how "classical BH" is implemented in terms
of the new software irqs.

Is everyone seeing this problem using SCSI? That would be a good
reference point, because SCSI command done processing is still
implemented as a "classical BH".

One would also wish to take a look at how the various task queues
behave in the new code as well.

Later,
David S. Miller
davem@redhat.com