Re: /proc/nzombies (wrapup)

From: almesber@lrc.di.epfl.ch
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 01:03:12 EST

Peter T. Breuer wrote:
> BTW, are people really serious about this "bloat"

Some people may also simply be concerned about the proliferation of
tiny config options. I'd say we already have too many of them, and
adding Jos' /proc/nzombies, Peter's kreaperd, or Werner's alternative
sticky shift keys mode option won't make things better.

> What you want to do is provide a snapshot of lots of volatile kernel
> information on demand. Counting zombies is just an example. The
> problem you want to solve is that you can't get accurate info because
> you have to traverse proc structures, which takes time. Solutions?

Spin lock the process table ;-) Well, most people don't seem to be
very concerned about this aspect, and you can fix most problems in
user space (e.g. you probably won't notice if nzombies is off by one or
two on a very busy system that spawns dozens of processes per second).

- Werner