Re: lost interrupt on IDE ZIP drive (2.3.4[78] and possibly before)

From: Chris Meadors (chris@hereintown.net)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 08:21:42 EST

Gaël Quéri wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 01, 2000 at 08:53:25PM +0100, Ingo Buescher wrote:
> > after entering my username and password the login process simply stalls -
> > not sure how this could be kernel related but this problem also disappears
> > when using 2.3.34 again.
>
> Is portmap running? If not I also had a problem with that...
> If you start the rpc.portmap daemon before the login everything goes
> fine (if I remember login was continuously trying to contact the port 111)
> it's maybe a glibc bug, but it shows only after 2.3.35.
>
> regards, gael

I suppose portmap doesn't pose too much of a security risk on a dialup
machine from home, but I don't need it so why should I be running it.

I know this thread has been around once before. The solution that came
up then was to remove all reference to "nis" and "nisplus" from the
/etc/nsswitch.conf file.

Well I'm running glibc 2.1.3 and used the sample nsswitch.conf that came
with it. And unlike the 2.1.2 release of glibc, it contains no such
entries.

So what is the solution now? Do I just need to swallow my pride of
having no serivces running, and fire up portmap?