Re: [OT] Microsoft invents symbolic links

From: Richard Torkar (ds98rito@thn.htu.se)
Date: Thu Mar 02 2000 - 10:52:54 EST

Burton Windle wrote:

> http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2000/02-28w2k.asp
>
> REDMOND, Wash., Feb. 28, 2000 -- Three years ago, Bill Bolosky and two
> Microsoft colleagues were brainstorming technology advances when an idea
> occurred to them -- why not save operating system disk space by storing
> duplicate files as links that point to a single file housed in a central
> location?
>
> Not only would this save storage space, they reasoned;
> it would also result in substantial performance improvements. Moreover, it
> would make it faster for information technology (IT) managers
> to install computers for new employees since theyd no longer be
> required to copy massive amounts of data each time they set up a
> new desktop.
>
> Signed,
> Burton Windle

Well, actually AFAIKT, it's not symbolic links as we have in UNIX-land
that's the great part.
As I understand it it's the server part actively searching for identical
files and then symlinking them, i.e. automagically.

What I can't figure out is, why it took them so many years, and are they
really first?
Because if they are first then this is the first case that I know of
Microsoft 'inventing' things.

/Richard Torkar

--
1024D/E09C3CD1 1999-10-28 Richard Torkar (LINUX) <ds98rito@thn.htu.se>
Key fingerprint = EFCB 8ECD FA90 4B05 E1E9  8D40 12B6 CD63 E09C 3CD1